Friday, February 19, 2010

Here's the Skinny!

Yesterday I took LBG to a new doctor.  Mommy instincts told me that if I'm dreading taking him to the pediatrician again, it probably isn't a good sign.  Luckily for me, a friend *check out her blog!* recommended a family doctor for us to try.  Sure, it's an hour and 15 minutes away, but we will be moving closer soon so we decided to give it a shot. 

LBG didn't see the doctor, but saw the nurse practitioner instead.  She was really nice and super concerned about his skin!  We've seen two pedis previously and they brushed it off as a "phase" and told me to keep lubing him up with lotion.  Luckily for us, and not so luckily for my sweet boy, he developed some major flair-ups during the car ride.  It was nice to be able to show that what we were seeing on his wrists and elbows was what usually covers his face and whole body.  We also learned poor LBG has eczema in his ears!

Anyhooo, back to the subject-  Karen, the NP, believes that he might have an internal yeast infection.  This would explain why his eczema travels around his body rather than staying in just a few select places.  Instead of giving LBG more steriods, which haven't helped a whole lot, she gave us some natural remedies to try.  If they don't help, then we'll go back to steriods plus a few other ideas.  She said she's seen better success with the remedies for skin worse than his over conventional medications. 

I'm skeptical, but we'll try it.  If we don't see an improvement in a week, we'll go back and try some more medications. 

She didn't have much to say about his reflux other than suggesting we homemake formula using goat's milk.  You can't buy goat's milk formula on the market in the US and the idea of making it myself is something I'm not comfortable with.  You have to add lots of things to it so he gets all the nutrients and that scares me.  His formula is what he eats to survive, I don't want to risk messing that up. 

The rest of the appointment went really well!  Both the nurse and NP commented on how strong his is which was sweet.  I don't know many babies to compare him to and it's not like I can count how many pounds he's benchpressing!

2 comments:

A Baby Peach said...

Yay! We had our 6 mo. appointment there today. Lucas is having some rash issues on his face now too and I thought it was teething, but I really don't know. Dr. K also mentioned yeast, so we got probiotics from them...is that what they gave you?

The Mother said...

Yup we got probiotics! They seem to be helping a ton!