Tuesday, February 9, 2010

All-Purpose Cleaner- revisited

There is a slight side effect to my AP Cleaner recipe.  The Dr. Bronner's Soap curdles.  YIK!

I'd just shake the bottle well and go on my merry way cleaning what needed to be cleaned.  The Father brought up a point I hadn't considered.  What if we aren't getting the fully benefit of the soap because the curdles might not fit through the sprayer tube?


I went to the lab, to see what was on the slab.  My kitchen once again became my chemistry lab.  A small part of me wish LBG was old enough to do mini science projects with me.  I bet he might enjoy them.  We will probably revisit this one for fun in a few years.

A small drop of Dr. B's into some vinegar and a small drop into some water revealed that the vinegar is the culprit.  I don't exactly know why, but I'll accept my finding.

My usual mixing process is water, vinegar, soap.  What if we switched it up?  Knowing that the vinegar makes the soap curdle, it probably isn't a good place to start.  So, I added my soap to the water and stirred it all around to mix it in.  Then came the vinegar.  The whole mixture turned a milk white evenly through out!

Winner Winner, Chicken Dinner!

So here is how it goes:
Mix the Water and Soap together first, then add the vinegar.


1 cup Water
1/4 tsp Dr. Bronner's Magic Castille Soap
1 cup White Vinegar.

0 comments: