Wednesday, December 23, 2009

You call that clean?!

How can you call your counter top clean if you just sprayed chemicals all over it? Or the kitchen floor for that matter?

I'll be the first to admit, I spent a good 3 or 4 years addicted to Clorox wipes, bottles of bleach, and cans of Lysol. Even better, I'd eliminated paper towels and made my own cloths for use with such cleaning items. Yeah, still can't figure that one out!

Then one day I had an epiphany! If I'd be comfortable licking it, I consider it clean. Would I lick a freshly bleached counter? Would I let my child play on a freshly chemicaled floor? Not on your life! There has to be a better way. Luckily for me, TheNest.com created a Green Living board. This lovely board came to the rescue! Since the creation of this board, I've gained a wealth of knowledge in the clean-cleaning product department.

Did you know vinegar kills most germies?! And on top of that... you can drink it! Sounds clean to me. Dr. Bronner's Magic Castille Soap has 18-in-1 uses, there must be some household cleaning uses. Oooooo, I love kitchen chemistry!

My recipe for All Purpose Spray cleaner:
1 Cup White Vinegar
1 Cup Water
1/4 tsp Dr. Bronner's Magic Soap in the smell of your choice.

Pour into a spray bottle, give it a few shakes, and away you go! I use Almond scented soap, but that is because I have it on hand. I'll probably buy the Tea Tree Oil variety next for it's antibacterial properties!

I use this mix for my counters and my hard floors. This weekend I'm going to mix a batch with a few drops of TTO. We'll see how I like it.

0 comments: