Monday, January 25, 2010

The Dirty and The Clean

If I were a millionaire, we'd only be eating organic foods.  I'm not... so we don't.  Every trip to the grocery store is an inner battle.  Do I buy regular GMO (genetically-modified organisms)  and pesticide laden foods or go for the expensive organics?

A few months ago, I was introduced to the concept of the Dirty Dozen.  This list has helped me out greatly in the produce department.  No questions asked, if they are on the list, organics are bought.

So here is the list:

Fruits
Apples
Cherries
Grapes
Nectarines
Peaches
Pears
Raspberries
Strawberries

Veggies
Bell Peppers
Celery
Potatoes
Spinach

Did you know there is an opposite of the Dirty Dozen?  It's commonly referred to as the Clean 15!  You can skip the organic varieties of these.

I'll be sweet and list them for you:
Fruits
Banana
Blueberries
Kiwi
Mango
Papaya
Pineapple
Watermelon

Veggies
Asparagus
Avocado (is this a fruit or veg?)
Broccoli
Cabbage
Garlic
Onion
Shelling Peas
Sweet Corn

These two lists have helped me a ton during my grocery shopping outings.  If I could memorize them, it would be super awesome! 

If you'd like to watch a really awesome movie about Pesticides and GMOs, I highly recommend watching The Future of Food.  I believe you can watch it for free via Hulu.com.  It's some scary stuff.

0 comments: