Sunday, January 3, 2010

Pedaling the Freecycle

What? You don't know what a freecycle is? It's the really cool bicycle that only goes backwards and in a circle.Ok, maybe not, but that would a super nifty contraption and I'll be asking Santa for one next year.

Freecycle is like Craigslist only every HAS to be free. If you don't know what Craigslist is... well, you need to get with the modern times!

You list your FREE items on your local listing board and then wait for the emails to roll in. If you are in need of something, you can post a *Wanted* listing and maybe someone will be able to help you! There are stipulations such as you can't exchange any money, you can't ask for outlandish and unnecessary items like a brand new ipod or X brand of digital camera unused. It's a great way to get rid of unwanted items that would otherwise end up in the dump. It's also a great way to collect items for your charitable organization!

While I've known about Freecycle for a few years, I've never actually used it. Don't ask me why. I'll never know why I've put off utilizing just a beautiful tool for so long. I'm sure I'm deserving of a few lashing with a wet noodle- and I accept.

This morning I had an epiphany! Instead of taking my walking cast, which is part of my New Year 50 to the Goodwill-I don't know of a local free clinic- why not Freecycle it?! As many might say, the snowball effect was in motion. The next time I knew, I was listing a wrist brace (if you know me, you know my bones like to break on occasion,) a bin of various un-eco-friendly cleaning products, 14 bottles of nail polish, an two unopened bottles of bodywash that I'll never use! Good googly moogly! I hope the Freecycle mods appreciate my offers, since they had a posting asking more people to offer things because there were too many "wants."

Ok, now hurry up and wait! First, I have to wait for them to be approved and listed. Then, I have to wait for the emails to start rolling in, which I really hope will happen. I want to add these items to my 50.

I never thought this idea of the New Year 50 would be more than just getting a few extra things out of the house!

0 comments: