Thursday, December 24, 2009

We Wish You a Merry Christmas!

Merry Christmas Eve, boys and girls!

Today we are traveling an hour and a hour and a 1/2 away to visit my friend and her family. They invited us over for Christmas Ever dinner! We don't have any family nearby so this is the next best thing! We are all super excited.

I live by the motto: Why buy what you can easily make?!
Today we will arrive bearing some awesome gifts. Last night we baked Russian Tea Cakes (recipe will follow) and Oatmeal Chocolate chip Walnut cookies. I'm also bringing two jars of Hippy's Hot Cocoa Mix and a jar of homemade laundry detergent!

Tonight Santa Claus will come to visit LBG for the very first time! The Father and I made him some toys. We also bought him a few, too! You will have to wait until tomorrow to find out what the loot is!

Growing up, it was a tradition for my dad to read my sister and I "The Night Before Christmas" from a pop-up book. I want to continue this tradition so LBG now has his own pop-up "The Night Before Christmas!" There was another tradition that we won't be skipping:

Watching a full 24 hours of "A Christmas Story!" The Father slightly dreads this tradition, but Dammit! that TV will be tuned to TBS! I even bought the DVD just in case the cable goes out!

I love traditions! Next year we are planning to celebrate Solstice along with Christmas. We will also be putting an orange and an apple in LBG's stocking.

"Happy Christmas to All, and To All a Good Night!"

Oh yes, I almost forgot!
Russian Tea Cakes
2 sticks of butter softened
1 tsp vanilla
6 Tbsp powdered sugar
2 Cups AP flour
1 Cup Walnuts Chopped

Preheat over to 350. Cream the butter and vanilla until smooth. Combine powdered sugar and flour then stir into butter/vanilla mixture. Add walnuts. Roll into 1 inch balls and bake at 350 for 12 minutes. When cool roll in powdered sugar. Enjoy!

0 comments: